Saturday, January 16, 2016

[ARC Review] Beyond the Red by Ava Jae ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

I received an eARC from Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.


This book is magical. It has all the elements that I loved in a stand alone novel. To make it better, Beyond the Red is sci fi. The turning point of the novel caught me by surprised. The ending, I have never read an ending like that before and I have to say I'm in love with this book. The ending is the perfect redemption but it is heart breaking.

Kora is the queen of one of the Sepharon territories, Elja, but for generations, a male has ruled her territory. Her coordination brought change and unrest from her people. Many believe that her twin brother should rule but Kora is relentless to give up her rule. She believes that she understands her people and knows what is best. It is funny that the people do not know how deadly Kora can be.

Eros is a half blood. Half bloods are not supposed to exist. Eros is well respected in his camp but only because of the protection of his guardians. He is then captured by Kora's army and he is indebted to servitude as Kora's personal servant. Eros should hate Kora, she is the cause of the destruction of so many, but when he realizes that truths about the royal court, Eros begins to question his loyalty.

Eros and Kora are framed for an assassination for a crime they did not commit. They are on the run to avoid persecution but when they discover the real plans toward the humans, Eros and Kora are at a race against time to stop the plan from taking action, possibly saving millions, if they succeed.

I love the world building. The Sepharon people have cool tattoo markings on their skin, multiple eye colors, and expressive clothing; it is very exotic. The treatment to the humans is cruel, as expected because the humans are captured and are enslaved by the Sepharon. I like how the colloquial phrases used in the novel, mo for moment, kinduv for kind of. It makes the setting more alien like and different from what it is on Earth. It is obvious that if a setting is in a different planet from Earth, the dialect and phrases should be different from Earth, which I believe the author, Ava Jae, did well with. 

The dual POV of Kora and Eros allows the readers to understand both side of what life is like in Serpharon territories, as royalty and as a slave, as a native and as an alien. You will meet characters that you will hate and characters that you will love and maybe be your precious cinnamon roll *cough* Serek.

If you do not know what I mean by precious cinnamon roll, it is just a phrasing used towards a character that you hold dearly to your heart. :)

One thing that I wished was different about the novel was the pacing towards the end of the novel. It was a bit fast for me but considering the revelations and the secrets spilled *insert dramatic music*, Kora and Eros did not have time to waste, which is evident in the pacing of the novel. Nevertheless, I really loved Beyond the Red. 

Personally I tend to avoid sci-fi due to the very complex nature of the plot and the depth of the world building which causes me to be very confused. But Beyond the Red has regained my hopes towards sci-fi genre!

I would recommend this book to anyone who loves anything about aliens, sci-fi, alternate worlds beyond Earth and a forbidden romance. 

For more information about the book please visit goodreads.




Follow me on twitter, tumblr, instagram, and goodreads! 


Twitter @omgbooksandmore
TumblrInstagramGoodreads  @omgbooksandmorebooks

No comments:

Post a Comment