Monday, January 11, 2016

Monday Update #1

Starting this Monday, I will do weekly updates about the books I have read last week and my book plans this week. I will also reflect on my life and any major decisions or actions that has taken place. I know this is a book blog but I want to do some life reflections as well.

Last week was an exciting week for me in the world of book reviews. I finally finished the Premonition Series and submitted my last review yesterday. Overall that series has been a rollercoaster of fun and unexpected twists and turns. Brennus is currently my favorite character with his daring charm and his constant use of moi chorĂ­. I also learned a very special word, banjax, which I plan to use often. Evie is now my favorite strong female heroine. She is so brave; she is the definition of bravery. Evie puts everyone first, even Brennus. Her loyalty and and bravery is unparalleled.




This week I plan on finishing Beyond the Red by Ava Jae and start, and hopefully finish, Truthwitch by Susan Denard and Soundless by Richelle Mead. I have been looking forward to reading this books for months now.
I am almost finished with Beyond the Red and I have to say I am really impressed. I love the futuristic and Sci-fi appeal it has. Personally, I try to avoid these kinds of books because they get too confusing and convoluted for me to understand and I end up frustrated. But this book is something different. The world building and character development is straight forward yet detailed. I have throughly enjoyed the characters and the overall plot of the novel. I will give a more detailed review once I finish the novel. I secretly hope, even though I haven't read the ending, that Beyond the Red will have more books in the series but according to the author, it is a stand alone.


 I have loved Richelle Mead's writing ever since Vampire Academy. The Vampire Academy series was one of the first series that I have come to love with the head strong heroine, Rose, and her killer group of friends.

As I mention Vampire Academy, I might get side tracked, I must mention the movie. I was severely disappointed of the portrayal of the characters and the movie and the lack of context the movie had. The slogan of the movie was "They Suck at School" Really? Have they not read the books to determine that it is not the case. Have they not read the books to realize the dire situation Rose, Lissa and everyone else is in? Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the movie, the actors and actress were great but the message of the movie was hard to get across. I felt like the movie was made just to be made.

Okay I think I'll stop on the rant about Vampire Academy, if you know me in real life you'll know how much I take to heart about this subject. Nevertheless I look forward to Soundless, a Chinese folklore. THAT is something unique. It will be an interesting read. I enjoy anything Richelle Mead writes so I look forward to reading Soundless. I throughly enjoy the fact that authors take to folklore as inspirations for their books. I believe folklore is the real stories of life.

Now onto Truthwitch. I stumbled onto this book thanks to Sarah J Maas, the author of the Throne of Glass series and ACOTAR (A Court of Thorns and Roses). The early reviews of the novel were promising. I have read that there are two strong female lead characters and I am all about strong female lead characters. Honestly, if one of my favorite authors recommends a book, I will read it. Also, I love anything that has magic in it. Blame it on Harry Potter. I love a world and setting where magic is involved.



I think that is enough about the book world of my life and now time for my real life, college life. Today starts my second semester of my first year in college. I intend on majoring in Computer Science and quickly start working as a programmer. Programming and reading don't mix together right? I strongly disagree, they do mix. And I love both. At a young age I would always watch my dad work as he programs while I was reading. I can't live without them. As my intention on majoring in Computer Science, I have to learn programming languages. No worries I got that covered. I am motivated, motivated to get my degree. There is no doubt. And I don't plan on giving up reading either. It's kind of a dream of mine, but I hope that my first job is at Goodreads. I want to redesign their website. Do you know how awesome it would be, my first job is at a book website/business and I get to program?? That's a dream come true. So as this semester progresses I want to build on my programming languages and continue reading and maintaining this blog.

I love programming and reading. I am a computer geek and a bookworm, the best pair, honestly.

Thank you so much for reading, and for any of you lovely readers starting your college semester tomorrow or some time this week, have a fun and successful semester ahead.


Follow me on twitter, tumblr, instagram, and goodreads! :D

Twitter @omgbooksandmore
TumblrInstagramGoodreads  @omgbooksandmorebooks



No comments:

Post a Comment