Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Waiting on Wednesdays - And I Darken

So, what am I waiting for this Wednesday??? What is the book that I wish that would release already so I can read it and ignore everything else?? Well, I am waiting for And I Darken by Kiersten White. I have been wanting to read And I Darken ever since Kiersten White posted this on her blog (link). A Game of Thrones, with teens, set in the Ottoman Empire, sign me up. It sounds like the perfect trifecta. I love Game of Thrones and I have a great knowledge base of the Ottoman Empire. Honestly those two things in the same book, I will love it regardless of what the book is about. 

Here is the summary of And I Darken by goodreads:


NO ONE EXPECTS A PRINCESS TO BE BRUTAL. And Lada Dragwlya likes it that way. Ever since she and her gentle younger brother, Radu, were wrenched from their homeland of Wallachia and abandoned by their father to be raised in the Ottoman courts, Lada has known that being ruthless is the key to survival. She and Radu are doomed to act as pawns in a vicious game, an unseen sword hovering over their every move. For the lineage that makes them special also makes them targets.

Lada despises the Ottomans and bides her time, planning her vengeance for the day when she can return to Wallachia and claim her birthright. Radu longs only for a place where he feels safe. And when they meet Mehmed, the defiant and lonely son of the sultan, who’s expected to rule a nation, Radu feels that he’s made a true friend—and Lada wonders if she’s finally found someone worthy of her passion.
But Mehmed is heir to the very empire that Lada has sworn to fight against—and that Radu now considers home. Together, Lada, Radu, and Mehmed form a toxic triangle that strains the bonds of love and loyalty to the breaking point

IT IS HISTORICAL FICTION (if you didn't get that from reading the summary). Historical Fiction in the world of Young Adult books is so under looked and unappreciated. Hopefully with And I Darken series, the recognition of historical fiction will have more understanding and popularity, if done right. I think the reason that historical fiction is not as popular as it should is because the history is different. As readers, we already have this set idea of what the historical aspect of the book will be about. If an author were to change it slightly or follow a different interpretation, then the reader will get thrown off by inadequate history telling. Nevertheless, I really do hope And I Darken is mostly historically accurate.

I am very excited about this book. The trilogy, from what I read, is somewhat based on the story of Vlad the Impaler, aka Count Dracula. I have not read Vlad the Impaler but I have heard many great discussions about it. And it is the story where we get the myth, or maybe reality, of Count Dracula. 

The cover is gorgeous. It is mysterious but has a deadly look to it, or maybe that is just the dagger on the cover. AND it is purple and anything purple is perfect so.

I haven't read anything from Kiersten White but I currently have her first book, Paranormalcy, and I plan to read it this month. From what I have noticed in bookstores and reviews, Kiersten White is very loved and appreciated for her writing and characters.

I have high expectations for this book. I hope my expectations are not too high but honestly, the way the book presents itself, I can tell it will be a wonderful read and action packed.


Follow me on twitter, tumblr, instagram, and goodreads! 


Twitter @omgbooksandmore
TumblrInstagramGoodreads  @omgbooksandmorebooks

1 comment: