Monday Update #5

The weeks have been flying by. I would say that if is a good thing because I am closer to graduating and getting my degree. But I would say that it is a bad thing because I still haven't gained the confidence I wanted in writing again but it will take time.

Last week I finished the beautiful finale of the Splintered Series, Untamed by AG Howard. If you don't already know, I have mentioned this so many times, I love the Splintered Series. I have loved Alice and Wonderland since I was a child. You can read my full review here.  I highly recommend this series. 

This week I'm continuing on reading the Bone Season by Samantha Shannon. It's an intricate and interesting read so far. I'm only a hundred pages in and so far it's intriguing. The world building is very different and captivating. The writing is very diligent and thoughtful. 


I have a rant. I really hate it when people compare books as "the next Hunger Games or the next Harry Potter." I personally believe that it is not fair for the author by setting up unrealistic expectations. Nothing can be the next Hunger Games unless if the author them self wrote it. Honestly, nothing can replace a book and pinning "the next whatever title" on books ruins the surprise and the promise of books. It creates an unfair expectation on books when in reality, the books deserve to be its own phenomenon. These labels just ruin the chance.

I say this because I have read some reviews of the Bone Season and all I see is a failed Harry Potter remake or the next Harry Potter failed expectations or some next whatever title. Are we reading the same book?! I am one fourth done with The Bone Season and I have not seen a single Harry Potter element. Do you know why? Because it wasn't meant to be the next Harry Potter. Can an author write a book just to write a book? Stop pinning labels on books that are not meant to be put. Yes this is a marketing strategy but most times I have seen it back fire.

Sorry I just had to get this off my chest.

Hopefully I can finish The Bone Season and write my review by Sunday but with exams looming it may be difficult but I will try my hardest. 



After The Bone Season I will read Stars Above by Marissa Meyer. The Lunar Chronicles is such a unique and inspiring read for fairy tell retellings. Honestly if there was a "goal" for fairy tell retellings, this is it. Stars Above is the final book/novella of this series and I can't wait to see how this series is wrapped up.

Tell me what you guys are reading and if you have any suggestions of what I should read next please let me know! 




Follow me on twitter, tumblr, instagram, and goodreads! 


Twitter @omgbooksandmore
TumblrInstagramGoodreads  @omgbooksandmorebooks

No comments:

Post a Comment