Sunday, March 6, 2016

TBR Tuesday - Dystopia, Retellings and Thrillers!

I realize that I need to add more books to my tbr pile because I am running out. This is actually a good thing because I need to research more books! 

My last post discussed about the book that I will be reading this week. I highly recommend checking it out and read the books along with me! 

The book that I am reading this week is Untamed by A.G. Howard and The Bone Season by Samantha Shannon.


This past week I have added several books to my to be read pile on goodreads. To check out my full goodreads list, follow this link here






1. The Glittering Court by Richelle Mead

Summary:
Big and sweeping, spanning the refined palaces of Osfrid to the gold dust and untamed forests of Adoria, The Glittering Court tells the story of Adelaide, an Osfridian countess who poses as her servant to escape an arranged marriage and start a new life in Adoria, the New World. But to do that, she must join the Glittering Court. 

Both a school and a business venture, the Glittering Court is designed to transform impoverished girls into upper-class ladies capable of arranging powerful and wealthy marriages in the New World. Adelaide naturally excels in her training and even makes a few friends: the fiery former laundress Tamsin and the beautiful Sirminican refugee Mira. She manages to keep her true identity hidden from all but one: the intriguing Cedric Thorn, son of the wealthy proprietor of the Glittering Court.

When Adelaide discovers that Cedric is hiding a dangerous secret of his own, together, they hatch a scheme to make the best of Adelaide’s deception. Complications soon arise—first, as they cross the treacherous seas from Osfrid to Adoria, and later, when Adelaide catches the attention of a powerful governor.

But no complication will prove quite as daunting as the potent attraction simmering between Adelaide and Cedric. An attraction that, if acted on, would scandalize the Glittering Court and make them both outcasts in wild, vastly uncharted lands. . . .



Why I'm excited for this book:

I will read anything Richelle Mead writes, honestly. I have loved The Vampire Academy series ever since I finished the first book. The Glittering Court reminds me of The Jewel by Amy Ewing on how young impoverish girls are taken and made into someone new. It has been a long time since I have read any Richelle Mead's books and this is, personally, a bad thing because I love her work. I will read anything  Richelle Mead writes, even if it is about how cats nap. 

For more information about this book please visit goodreads.

2. This Savage Song by Victoria Schwab

Summary:

The city of Verity has been overrun with monsters, born from the worst of human evil. In North Verity, the Corsai and the Malchai run free. Under the rule of Callum Harker, the monsters kill any human who has not paid for protection. In the South, Henry Flynn hunts the monsters who cross the border into his territory, aided by the most dangerous and darkest monsters of them all—the Sunai, dark creatures who use music to steal their victim’s souls.

As one of only three Sunai in existence, August Flynn has always wanted to play a bigger role in the war between the north and the south. When the chance arises to keep an eye on Kate Harker, daughter of the leader of North Verity, August jumps on it.


When Kate discovers August’s secret, the pair find themselves running for their lives and battling monsters from both sides of the wall. As the city dissolves into chaos, it’s up to them to foster a peace between monsters and humans.

A unique, fast-paced adventure that looks at the monsters we face every day—including the monster within.



Why I'm excited for this book:
Monsters, war and a Romeo and Juliet retelling? Yes, yes and yes. I am very interested on how monsters and chaos are applied to Romeo and Juliet in a current setting. I also want to know what is considered "human evil". Also, the cover is mysterious, it is a shape of a guitar but with a certain background. What does it mean?? I must know.


For more information about this book please visit goodreads.




3. The Power by Jennifer L. Armentrout 

Summary:

With any great change, there is always strife, and the Covenant University has become the frontline between pure-bloods who want the Breed Order reinstated and the half-bloods who want the right to control their own destinies.
Fate has other plans.

The violence is escalating and war between the races seems inevitable, and it couldn’t come at a worse time. Hyperion may be out of commission, but Josie and Seth know they have only earned a reprieve. Seth must get Josie fully prepared, which means controlling her newfound abilities, and they need to find the other demigods before the Titans do.
But the gods are sensing a greater threat.

Only one thing is more dangerous than a bunch of starved Titans, and that’s an out-of-control Apollyon. The aether in Josie is drawing Seth in deeper, and when lust mixes with love and gives way to power, he knows being close to her is not only dangerous to her, but to everyone around them, but letting her go requires a level of selflessness that just isn’t Seth’s style.

The paths taken in the past are becoming the roads of the future.

Just as chaos breaks out, familiar faces from the past return, complicating the already strained bond between Josie and Seth, and when the danger from the Titans erupts with devastating consequences, the dark allure of power calls to Seth again, but this time Josie might not be able to pull him back.

And when the struggle between power and love becomes the deadliest battleground, there may be no salvation.



Why I'm excited for this book:
The Covenant series will have a special place in my heart. Alex and Aiden are the best duo that I have read in a really long time. The Power is apart of a spinoff series from the Covenant series. I love spinoffs, it adds another layer of the world of that series. Personally, I don't want series to end but each series must end, so spinoffs just extends the series a little more before it all must come to a close. Also I am interested to see the Covenant world through the eyes of Seth. Even though I really did not like him because of how lost he got with the power he upheld, he does add an interesting element to the series. I am team Aiden by the way, forever and always. 

For more information about this book please visit goodreads.


4. The Forbidden Wish by Jessica Khoury 

Summary:

She is the most powerful Jinni of all. He is a boy from the streets. Their love will shake the world...

When Aladdin discovers Zahra's jinni lamp, Zahra is thrust back into a world she hasn't seen in hundreds of years -- a world where magic is forbidden and Zahra's very existence is illegal. She must disguise herself to stay alive, using ancient shape-shifting magic, until her new master has selected his three wishes.

But when the King of the Jinn offers Zahra a chance to be free of her lamp forever, she seizes the opportunity—only to discover she is falling in love with Aladdin. When saving herself means betraying him, Zahra must decide once and for all: is winning her freedom worth losing her heart?

As time unravels and her enemies close in, Zahra finds herself suspended between danger and desire in this dazzling retelling of Aladdin from acclaimed author Jessica Khoury.
 


Why I'm excited for this book:
Aladdin is my favorite childhood movie. I have always wanted to read a retelling of Aladdin but I could never find anything that suited my interests. I accidentally stumbled upon this book while doing a lengthy research about Disney retellings after completing Winter of the Lunar Chronicles Series. I can't describe how excited I am to read this book. Literally all my hopes and dreams of Aladdin retellings are in this book. 

For more information about this book please visit goodreads.



5. The Darkest Corner by Kara Thomas

Summary:
For fans of Gillian Flynn’s Dark Places and Sara Shepard’s Pretty Little Liars, The Darkest Corners is a psychological thriller about the lies little girls tell, and the deadly truths those lies become.

There are ghosts around every corner in Fayette, Pennsylvania. Tessa left when she was nine and has been trying ever since not to think about it after what happened there that last summer. Memories of things so dark will burn themselves into your mind if you let them.


Callie never left. She moved to another house, so she doesn’t have to walk those same halls, but then Callie always was the stronger one. She can handle staring into the faces of her demons—and if she parties hard enough, maybe one day they’ll disappear for good.


Tessa and Callie have never talked about what they saw that night. After the trial, Callie drifted and Tessa moved, and childhood friends just have a way of losing touch.


But ever since she left, Tessa has had questions. Things have never quite added up. And now she has to go back to Fayette—to Wyatt Stokes, sitting on death row; to Lori Cawley, Callie’s dead cousin; and to the one other person who may be hiding the truth.


Only the closer Tessa gets to the truth, the closer she gets to a killer—and this time, it won’t be so easy to run away.


Why I'm excited for this book:
This book will be outside of my normal reading sphere. I want to diversify what I read so I believe that this will be a perfect start. The Darkest Corner is a psychological thriller. I enjoy this concept in movies and I hope I can enjoy this concept in books. I tend to avoid mysterious but I have hope that The Darkest Corner does not disappoint. I do have an arc of this book waiting to be read but I hope I can read it before it publishes.

For more information about this book please visit goodreads.



Tell me what is in your TBR pile!



Follow me on twitter, tumblr, instagram, and goodreads! 


Twitter @omgbooksandmore
TumblrInstagramGoodreads  @omgbooksandmorebooks

No comments:

Post a Comment