Sunday, March 6, 2016

TBR Tuesday - Zombies, Princes, and Assassins!

This past week I have been so active on goodreads, adding books, book groups and more! You can add me as a friend and I will add you back (link).

I must note that so many amazing books are coming out or just came out. I feel so behind because there are too many books to read. But I must say this is a great problem to have.



1. Carry On by Rainbow Rowell 

Summary:

Simon Snow just wants to relax and savor his last year at the Watford School of Magicks, but no one will let him. His girlfriend broke up with him, his best friend is a pest, and his mentor keeps trying to hide him away in the mountains where maybe he’ll be safe. Simon can’t even enjoy the fact that his roommate and longtime nemesis is missing, because he can’t stop worrying about the evil git. Plus there are ghosts. And vampires. And actual evil things trying to shut Simon down. When you’re the most powerful magician the world has ever known, you never get to relax and savor anything.

Carry On is a ghost story, a love story, a mystery and a melodrama. It has just as much kissing and talking as you’d expect from a Rainbow Rowell story — but far, far more monsters.
 

Why I am excited for this book:

This book is different from what I normally tend to read. It is more realistic but with fantasy like elements. The characters are, supposedly, lively and witty. I have read that this book is based off fanfics?? I'm not too sure if that's correct but if so I'm excited to see how the author ties this element throughout her novel. This book will be different from my normal sphere of books but I'm looking forward to it. 

For more information about this book please visit goodreads


2. The Awakened by Sara Santana 

Summary:

Zoey Valentine is concerned with two things: surviving the multitude of self-defense classes her dad makes her take and avoiding Ash Matthews.

That is, until the Z virus hits, wiping out a third of the population in a matter of weeks. If that weren’t frightening enough, the bodies of the victims disappear and suddenly reappear, awakened from their dead state. They're faster, smarter, and they work together to get the one thing they crave, human flesh.

The United States is in a panic and then the government decides the unthinkable: to bomb every major city overrun with the awakened.

Now Zoey is on the run, with her dad and Ash, desperate to find a place of safety amongst the ruined remains of the country.

Why I am excited for this book:

Zombies. This book is about zombies. I can't describe how long I have been looking for a zombie book that is in YA. Don't get me wrong, there are YA books about zombies but the books that I have previewed these books made the zombies less human and more animalistic. This book makes the zombies more human and cunning. I want that in a zombie book. I really do have high hopes. I want more zombies in YA. Even though they are horrifying, I want to see more. 

For more information about this book please visit goodreads




3. Evernight by Claudia Gray 

Summary:

Bianca wants to escape. 

She's been uprooted from her small hometown and enrolled at Evernight Academy, an eerie Gothic boarding school where the students are somehow too perfect: smart, sleek, and almost predatory. Bianca knows she doesn't fit in. 

Then she meets Lucas. He's not the "Evernight type" either, and he likes it that way. Lucas ignores the rules, stands up to the snobs, and warns Bianca to be careful—even when it comes to caring about him. 

"I couldn't stand it if they took it out on you," he tells Bianca, "and eventually they would." 

But the connection between Bianca and Lucas can't be denied. Bianca will risk anything to be with Lucas, but dark secrets are fated to tear them apart . . . and to make Bianca question everything she's ever believed.

Why I am excited for this book:

This book is old, seven years old. This is exciting actually because I want to see how YA progressed over the years. I want to see what elements have changed or what elements have stayed consistent. It's like a comparison test and I'm excited to see the results. Also, I'm surprised I skipped past this book considering I have been reading for so long. And there are vampires. I really hate the fact that vampires got a bad reputation after Twilight but slowly its been gaining credibility that it deserves.


For more information about this book please visit goodreads


4. The False Prince by Jennifer A. Nielsen

Summary:

The False Prince is the thrilling first book in a brand-new trilogy filled with danger and deceit and hidden identities that will have readers rushing breathlessly to the end.

In a discontent kingdom, civil war is brewing. To unify the divided people, Conner, a nobleman of the court, devises a cunning plan to find an impersonator of the king’s long-lost son and install him as a puppet prince. Four orphans are recruited to compete for the role, including a defiant boy named Sage. Sage knows that Conner’s motives are more than questionable, yet his life balances on a sword’s point—he must be chosen to play the prince or he will certainly be killed. But Sage’s rivals have their own agendas as well.

As Sage moves from a rundown orphanage to Conner’s sumptuous palace, layer upon layer of treachery and deceit unfold, until finally, a truth is revealed that, in the end, may very well prove more dangerous than all of the lies taken together.

An extraordinary adventure filled with danger and action, lies and deadly truths that will have readers clinging to the edge of their seats.

Why I am excited for this book:

The characters are mostly male navigating their way through the ways of the kingdom. I haven't read much about this in YA. It's mostly female perspectives but hardly any male. Also the main character is evil yet cunning. Sage would do anything to get his way. Also this series is considered middle grade, I'm in college now, but I am really intrigued by this book. I guess it shows that many books can appeal to many kinds of readers.

For more information about this book please visit goodreads


5. Assassin's Heart by Sarah Ahiers

Summary:

In the kingdom of Lovero, nine rival Families of assassins lawfully kill people for a price. As a highly skilled member of one of these powerful clans, seventeen-year-old Lea Saldana has always trusted in the strength of her Family. Until she awakens to find them murdered and her home in flames. The Da Vias, the Saldanas’ biggest enemy, must be responsible—and Lea should have seen it coming. But her secret relationship with the Da Vias’ son, Val, has clouded her otherwise killer instinct—and given the Da Vias more reason than ever to take her Family down.

Racked with guilt and shattered over Val’s probable betrayal, Lea sets out to even the score, with her heart set on retaliation and only one thought clear in her mind: make the Da Vias pay.

With shades of The Godfather and Romeo and Juliet, this richly imagined fantasy from debut author Sarah Ahiers is a story of love, lies, and the ultimate vengeance

Why I am excited for this book:

"With shades of The Godfather and Romeo and Juliet.." This sounds like the perfect book for me. There are so many Romeo and Juliet retellings this year and it's wonderful. I love how authors can take one idea and spin it so many ways and each way is unique and inspiring. It may sound cliché but that's what I believe. Also this book is about an assassin! I really want to know what are the thoughts of a killer assassin. It's a unique concept and I hope its explored throughly. 

For more information about this book please visit goodreads.


Tell me what you added to your TBR pile! 

Follow me on twitter, tumblr, instagram, and goodreads! 


Twitter @omgbooksandmore
TumblrInstagramGoodreads  @omgbooksandmorebooks

No comments:

Post a Comment