Wednesday, March 23, 2016

[Review] Pure by Julianna Baggott ⭐️⭐️

I was so exited to read this book because of its post apocalyptic elements. But throughout the book I become more and more disappointed that I had to skim the last 20% of the book. I really did give this book a chance. At the 50% mark I wanted to not finish it because I thought it would make a turn around. 


We know you are here, our brothers and sisters . . .
Pressia barely remembers the Detonations or much about life during the Before. In her sleeping cabinet behind the rubble of an old barbershop where she lives with her grandfather, she thinks about what is lost-how the world went from amusement parks, movie theaters, birthday parties, fathers and mothers . . . to ash and dust, scars, permanent burns, and fused, damaged bodies. And now, at an age when everyone is required to turn themselves over to the militia to either be trained as a soldier or, if they are too damaged and weak, to be used as live targets, Pressia can no longer pretend to be small. Pressia is on the run.

Burn a Pure and Breathe the Ash . . . 
There are those who escaped the apocalypse unmarked. Pures. They are tucked safely inside the Dome that protects their healthy, superior bodies. Yet Partridge, whose father is one of the most influential men in the Dome, feels isolated and lonely. Different. He thinks about loss-maybe just because his family is broken; his father is emotionally distant; his brother killed himself; and his mother never made it inside their shelter. Or maybe it's his claustrophobia: his feeling that this Dome has become a swaddling of intensely rigid order. So when a slipped phrase suggests his mother might still be alive, Partridge risks his life to leave the Dome to find her. 

When Pressia meets Partridge, their worlds shatter all over again.



The best element about this book is its sci fi elements. The idea of humans merged with objects or people at the time their world changed and the air become impure. I like the division of the pure and the not pure. The division is based if one lived in the dome, pure, or one lived on earth, impure.

What stopped me from reading was that I wasn't engaged. There were scenes and situations that I didn't feel like added to the overall plot. Yes they are looking for Partridge's mother but some of the things that happened felt off to me. I couldn't connect.

But overall the plot concept is impressive but I just couldn't connect with the story. I don't plan on continuing this series.

For more information about the book please visit goodreads.




Follow me on twitter, tumblr, instagram, and goodreads! 

Twitter @omgbooksandmore
TumblrInstagramGoodreads  @omgbooksandmorebooks

5 comments:

  1. Sorry you didn't enjoy this one! It's always disappointing to be excited about a book and then not enjoy it. :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this a while ago and remember feeling the same disappointment - the whole sci-fi element had such potential! I even read the next book, Fuse, but I honestly can't remember it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? Then I didn't miss much then. But I hate giving books a bad review :/

      Delete
  3. The premise for this sounds so good! It sucks that you didn't end up liking it. Nothing's worse that a book with a great premise that doesn't quite deliver on it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. exactly! I know authors work so hard for their books and I feel so bad for not liking it :/

      Delete