TBR Tuesday - Empires, Angels and the Apocalypse!

I honestly added some interesting books last week. It's an array of interesting selections but I'm intrigued by all of them. You can add me on Goodreads  to check out my full tbr list!


















1) Air Awakens by Elise Kova 

Summary:


A library apprentice, a sorcerer prince, and an unbreakable magic bond...

The Solaris Empire is one conquest away from uniting the continent, and the rare elemental magic sleeping in seventeen-year-old library apprentice Vhalla Yarl could shift the tides of war.

Vhalla has always been taught to fear the Tower of Sorcerers, a mysterious magic society, and has been happy in her quiet world of books. But after she unknowingly saves the life of one of the most powerful sorcerers of them all—the Crown Prince Aldrik—she finds herself enticed into his world. Now she must decide her future: Embrace her sorcery and leave the life she’s known, or eradicate her magic and remain as she’s always been. And with powerful forces lurking in the shadows, Vhalla’s indecision could cost her more than she ever imagined.
 


Why I am excited for this book:



I literally see this book EVERYWHERE. It's kind of scary honestly but I keep seeing the book so that's a sign. I think what entices me the most is that the main character loves books and most likely has the love and affection for books like most readers do. I feel like characters liking books is not focused as much because the concept is odd, the character loves books yet he or she is in one. But then again, we are all in books, stories, or poetry that we are unaware about.

2) The Midnight Sea by Kat Ross


Summary:


They are the light against the darkness.

The steel against the necromancy of the Druj.

And they use demons to hunt demons….

Nazafareen lives for revenge. A girl of the isolated Four-Legs Clan, all she knows about the King's elite Water Dogs is that they bind wicked creatures called daevas to protect the empire from the Undead. But when scouts arrive to recruit young people with the gift, she leaps at the chance to join their ranks. To hunt the monsters that killed her sister.

Scarred by grief, she's willing to pay any price, even if it requires linking with a daeva named Darius. Human in body, he's possessed of a terrifying power, one that Nazafareen controls. But the golden cuffs that join them have an unwanted side effect. Each experiences the other's emotions, and human and daeva start to grow dangerously close.

As they pursue a deadly foe across the arid waste of the Great Salt Plain to the glittering capital of Persepolae, unearthing the secrets of Darius's past along the way, Nazafareen is forced to question his slavery—and her own loyalty to the empire. But with an ancient evil stirring in the north, and a young conqueror sweeping in from the west, the fate of an entire civilization may be at stake


Why I am excited for this book:



That cover is so aesthetically pleasing. I'm in awe. But a reader should never judge a book by its cover. :) This book is about the Persian Empire, do you hear me screaming because I am.  I've always wanted to read a young adult fantasy novel about the Persian Empire. I need more books like this; a historical fiction ya about the rise and fall of empires. 


                            


3) Guarding Angel by S.L. Saboviec 

Summary:

Guardian angel Enael can't seem to keep her human Wards in check. They're the ones who choose their paths before reincarnating-she's just there to help make sure they stay on track. But it's not as easy as it might look.

When she meets and falls in love with charismatic Kaspen, a fellow Guardian, Enael's feelings about Heaven, Hell, demons, and the life she's known are turned upside down. Worse, angel-turned-demon Yasva, Kaspen's former love, still holds him in her clutches. Even as Yasva works toward obtaining complete control of Earth, she taunts and haunts Kaspen's and Enael's lives.

Now Enael is forced to face her past (which is centuries long and bursting with secrets), her present (which is terribly unfulfilling and full of questions), and her future (which becomes more uncertain as time passes). Armed with a newfound love and fear of losing it all, she must figure out how to save the world--and the angel she loves. Which side will win? Who will Kaspen choose? Will Heaven and Earth continue to exist, or will everything go to Hell?


Why I am excited for this book:



This book is 580 pages!! This is absolutely wonderful, in my opinion, because I love lengthy books. I bet the research has been very well done and the plotting and descriptions are engaging. This is also duology. (if you have been following my blog you'll know how I feel about duologies) But, they are usually the best written series. And I have a weak spot for books about angles (mainly because of the Fallen series).




4) Legacy of Kings by Eleanor Herman 


Summary:


Imagine a time when the gods turn a blind eye to the agony of men, when the last of the hellions roam the plains and evil stirs beyond the edges of the map. A time when cities burn, and in their ashes, empires rise.

Alexander, Macedonia’s sixteen-year-old heir, is on the brink of discovering his fated role in conquering the known world but finds himself drawn to a newcomer…

Katerina must navigate the dark secrets of court life while hiding her own mission: kill the Queen. But she doesn’t account for her first love…

Jacob will go to unthinkable lengths to win Katerina, even if it means having to compete for her heart with Hephaestion, a murderer sheltered by the prince.

And far across the sea, Zofia, a Persian princess and Alexander’s unmet betrothed, wants to alter her destiny by seeking the famed and deadly Spirit Eaters.

Weaving fantasy with the shocking details of real history, New York Times bestselling author of Sex with Kings Eleanor Herman reimagines the greatest emperor the world has ever known, Alexander the Great, in the first book of the Blood of Gods and Royals series.
 


Why I am excited for this book:



This book is historical fiction based on Alexander the Great. Do you know how excited I am to read this????  I feel like there should be more books about historical fiction because honestly, you can learn history from it (when done right). I'm really excited to see how the author directs this concept of Alexander the Great.




5) Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter Witch by Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman


Summary:

According to The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes NutterWitch (the world's only completely accurate book of prophecies, written in 1655, before she exploded), the world will end on a Saturday. Next Saturday, in fact. Just before dinner. 
So the armies of Good and Evil are amassing, Atlantis is rising, frogs are falling, tempers are flaring. Everything appears to be going according to Divine Plan. Except a somewhat fussy angel and a fast-living demon—both of whom have lived amongst Earth's mortals since The Beginning and have grown rather fond of the lifestyle—are not actually looking forward to the coming Rapture.
And someone seems to have misplaced the Antichrist . . .

Why I am excited for this book:


This book is very different from what I normally read but I wanted to read a world ending apocalypse book and this book was it. It just so happens that there are many comical elements that are entertwined in this book. 


Tell me what you added to your TBR pile!




Follow me on twitter, tumblr, instagram, and goodreads! 
Twitter @omgbooksandmore
TumblrInstagramGoodreads  @omgbooksandmorebooks

2 comments:

  1. I actually read AIR AWAKENS already and gave it 4.5/5 stars! I hope the hype works for you; I'll admit that I've been seeing this gain so much speed these past few months which is pretty surprising. Good for the author but it builds up terrifying hype for the reader. I have Legacy of Kings on my TBR, too! Though I can't remember what it's about that much...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Legacy of Kings is an Alexander the Great telling, I believe. I really like how its historical fiction in YA.

      Delete