Tuesday, March 8, 2016

TBR Tuesday - Souls, Drones, and Princesses

I have added 10 books to my tbr pile!! This past weekend I spent a good 2 hours researching books to read. It was time well spent. They are all relatively oldish books, 2-3 years old. I would consider that oldish?? I actually don't know how to categorize age with books but nevertheless, never judge a book by its cover OR age. This week I will discuss my top 5 choices!




1) What's Left of Me by Kat Zhang

Summary:

I should not exist. But I do.

Eva and Addie started out the same way as everyone else—two souls woven together in one body, taking turns controlling their movements as they learned how to walk, how to sing, how to dance. But as they grew, so did the worried whispers. Why aren’t they settling? Why isn’t one of them fading? The doctors ran tests, the neighbors shied away, and their parents begged for more time. Finally Addie was pronounced healthy and Eva was declared gone. Except, she wasn’t . . .

For the past three years, Eva has clung to the remnants of her life. Only Addie knows she’s still there, trapped inside their body. Then one day, they discover there may be a way for Eva to move again. The risks are unimaginable-hybrids are considered a threat to society, so if they are caught, Addie and Eva will be locked away with the others. And yet . . . for a chance to smile, to twirl, to speak, Eva will do anything.
 


Why I am excited for this book:

The concept of this series is very unique. I love the interplay and the balance of Addie and Eva, two souls trapped in one body. One soul is supposed to fade and another shall prevail but that doesn't happen in Addie and Eva's case. This is such a unique concept (as I repeated before). I really look forward to see how the author takes this concept further. 

2) Pure by Julianna Baggott 

Summary:

We know you are here, our brothers and sisters . . . 
Pressia barely remembers the Detonations or much about life during the Before. In her sleeping cabinet behind the rubble of an old barbershop where she lives with her grandfather, she thinks about what is lost-how the world went from amusement parks, movie theaters, birthday parties, fathers and mothers . . . to ash and dust, scars, permanent burns, and fused, damaged bodies. And now, at an age when everyone is required to turn themselves over to the militia to either be trained as a soldier or, if they are too damaged and weak, to be used as live targets, Pressia can no longer pretend to be small. Pressia is on the run.

Burn a Pure and Breathe the Ash . . . 
There are those who escaped the apocalypse unmarked. Pures. They are tucked safely inside the Dome that protects their healthy, superior bodies. Yet Partridge, whose father is one of the most influential men in the Dome, feels isolated and lonely. Different. He thinks about loss-maybe just because his family is broken; his father is emotionally distant; his brother killed himself; and his mother never made it inside their shelter. Or maybe it's his claustrophobia: his feeling that this Dome has become a swaddling of intensely rigid order. So when a slipped phrase suggests his mother might still be alive, Partridge risks his life to leave the Dome to find her. 

When Pressia meets Partridge, their worlds shatter all over again.


Why I am excited for this book:

Something about this book reminded me of a dream I had a long time ago. Separated by air, two distinct yet very similar individuals are bound to their settings yet find each other in impossible terms. I love the premise of this book. Also, it is science fiction with post apocalyptic elements, my favorite.




3) Fury by Charlotte McConaghy 

Summary:

When emotions are erased from the world, creating a civilization of mindless drones, only those with fury can survive.

On the same day each year Josephine Luquet wakes naked, shivering and covered in blood that is not her own. Under the cold gaze of the blood moon she is someone else entirely, but when dawn breaks her memories vanish and she is left with only an icy horror, a burning fury. Amid a sea of 'drones', she alone hasn’t been cured. 

Then she meets Luke. He isn’t like the other drones. With secrets behind his eyes, he is the only one determined to help Josephine discover the truth before the next blood moon rises. 

But time is running out. Is Luke willing to risk his life to be near her? Does he truly understand what violence she is capable of? 

Raw and full of passion, Fury is a story of love in a dystopian world, and how much we are willing to forgive in the struggle to remember our humanity


Why I am excited for this book:

I've always wanted to read a book where emotions are completely erased from the world except there are some who are able to feel and experience, to be human. The flaws of the characters are evidently pointed out and I want that. I want characters to be flawed because we are flawed. I really don't like it when I read a near perfect character who makes near perfect decisions. It's unrealistc and I'm so glad the author took this aspect of flawed characters and made it something new. 


4) Sea of Shadows by Kelley Armstrong

Summary:

In the Forest of the Dead, where the empire’s worst criminals are exiled, twin sisters Moria and Ashyn are charged with a dangerous task. For they are the Keeper and the Seeker, and each year they must quiet the enraged souls of the damned.

Only this year, the souls will not be quieted.

Ambushed and separated by an ancient evil, the sisters’ journey to find each other sends them far from the only home they’ve ever known. Accompanied by a stubborn imperial guard and a dashing condemned thief, the girls cross a once-empty wasteland, now filled with reawakened monsters of legend, as they travel to warn the emperor. But a terrible secret awaits them at court—one that will alter the balance of their world forever


Why I am excited for this book:

I honestly see Kelly Armstrong books everywhere, EVERYWHERE. It's kind of surprising that I have yet to read a single one of her books. I've had friends in middle school suggest me her books all the time. I took the suggestions but I never followed through. I think this book will be a great start. 


















5) The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson

Summary:

Once a century, one person is chosen for greatness.
Elisa is the chosen one. 

But she is also the younger of two princesses, the one who has never done anything remarkable. She can't see how she ever will. 

Now, on her sixteenth birthday, she has become the secret wife of a handsome and worldly king—a king whose country is in turmoil. A king who needs the chosen one, not a failure of a princess.

And he's not the only one who seeks her. Savage enemies seething with dark magic are hunting her. A daring, determined revolutionary thinks she could be his people's savior. And he looks at her in a way that no man has ever looked at her before. Soon it is not just her life, but her very heart that is at stake.

Elisa could be everything to those who need her most. If the prophecy is fulfilled. If she finds the power deep within herself. If she doesn’t die young.


Most of the chosen do


Why I am excited for this book:

The questions that I had while reading the summary was that how is she the chosen one?? How is she the savior?? These are good questions for the author's purpose because I am intrigued! I want to know why this princess is all these things. Also this was a recommendation so I always take recommendations to heart. :)



Follow me on twitter, tumblr, instagram, and goodreads! 


Twitter @omgbooksandmore
TumblrInstagramGoodreads  @omgbooksandmorebooks

4 comments:

  1. ooooh, these books look really interesting! you've turned me on to some really great books. thank you for this amazing post!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have Girl of Fire and Thorns on my TBR, too! I hope to get to into sometime within the next few months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. me too! Let me know when you have read it :)

      Delete