Monday, May 16, 2016

Monday Update #18 - Character Expectations

Hello everyone! :D I hope you guys had an amazing week!

Starting today, I am going to make changes to my blog, hopefully for the better. As you can see by the title of this Monday Update, I will be talking about a particular bookish topic that I believe is important to be discussed. Usually these will be my last parts of my Monday Update.

I will be apart of TWO book tours this week! My first tour will be Tuesday which will feature Under Ground by Alice Raehel. My second tour will be this Friday which will feature The Midnight Sea by Kat Ross.




The books that I finished last week were The Glittering Court by Richelle Mead and What's Left of Me by Kat Zhang. You can click on each title to check out my review!






This week I am reading, My Soul to Save by Rachel Vincent. This is the second book into the Soul Screamers series. I have finished the first book and I absolutely loved the concept. I'm actually quite thrilled about this book because it is set in Dallas, it mentions the university that I go to, and it's about souls, death, and the supernatural. I still have to write my review for My Soul to Take though. It will be done this week I promise. AND the covers are pretty amazing. Just look at it.






So my final topic for this Monday Update is character expectations.  What brought me to this topic is The Glittering Court by Richelle Mead. If you have been following this blog for a while you would know how much I love Vampire Academy. I love this series with the bottom of my heart. Rose is a warrior queen who needs her own kingdom and followers. I loved how Richelle Mead created this strong character who can also have vulnerabilities. I had this expectation of how Richelle Mead writes her characters (which is naive honestly) that I thought Adelaide in The Glittering Court would also emulate. But that was not the case. She was cunning, she was strong but she was lacking, in my opinion. I just didn't like her character. Initially this came as a shock because I thought the author would write this character that I had in mind but after reading about Adelaide, she wasn't.

But I can't expect an author to emulate my favorite characters. It's a new story with new characters with new personalities. I should accept it how it is but I just don't like how Adelaide acted. She was childish. It's also a fault in my part because I should not expect characters to have the similar qualities as other characters in different series. I should not. It's an unfair expectation for a reader to have on an author. No two people are the same. Characters should not be the same. I think it's important to realize this because readers do hold these unfair expectations on authors and it should stop. I have stopped. 

What are your thoughts about this? What books are you reading this week? Are you participating in any tours? If so let me know so I can spread the word!


Follow me on twitter, tumblr, instagram goodreads!


Twitter @omgbooksandmore
TumblrInstagramGoodreads  @omgbooksandmorebooks

No comments:

Post a Comment