[Review] The Glittering Court by Richelle Mead ⭐️⭐️⭐️

Summary:

Big and sweeping, spanning from the refined palaces of Osfrid to the gold dust and untamed forests of Adoria, The Glittering Court tells the story of Adelaide, an Osfridian countess who poses as her servant to escape an arranged marriage and start a new life in Adoria, the New World. But to do that, she must join the Glittering Court.

Both a school and a business venture, the Glittering Court is designed to transform impoverished girls into upper-class ladies who appear destined for powerful and wealthy marriages in the New World. Adelaide naturally excels in her training, and even makes a few friends: the fiery former laundress Tamsin and the beautiful Sirminican refugee Mira. She manages to keep her true identity hidden from all but one: the intriguing Cedric Thorn, son of the wealthy proprietor of the Glittering Court.

When Adelaide discovers that Cedric is hiding a dangerous secret of his own, together they hatch a scheme to make the best of Adelaide’s deception. Complications soon arise—first as they cross the treacherous seas from Osfrid to Adoria, and then when Adelaide catches the attention of a powerful governor.

But no complication will prove quite as daunting as the potent attraction simmering between Adelaide and Cedric. An attraction that, if acted on, would scandalize the Glittering Court and make them both outcasts in wild, vastly uncharted lands…
 



Review:


I have really mixed feelings about this book. As a reader, I try not to hold expectations on an author. What I mean is that, I fell in love with Vampire Academy. I absolutely loved Rose and Lissa and their journey throughout the 6 books. The action, the dialogue, just everything about the Vampire Academy Series I fell in love with. But I know that an author cannot replicate the same charm or the same similarities in their different series. Each series different and has to be different. 

The Glittering Court is a place where girls are groomed to be proper ladies and then sold off to rich husbands. It does provide girls with an opportunity to have a better life and Cedric and his father profits from this. Adelaide found an opportunity to escape from her life and take the identity of one of her servants and go to the Glittering Court for a better life.  

The Glittering Court was different. I didn't find any fantasy elements. I would say it was more contemporary. I particularly didn't like Adelaide. I didn't find her relatable much. She was cunning but it was silly at times. I feel like the most interesting character was Mira. She was a refugee and has many secrets. We don't know all the secrets till the very end. The ending was the most interesting part of the entire book. I just could not understand the book much. I was just reading through just to finish. 

I believe there is a second and third book with the perspectives of Mira and Tamsin, but I don't know if I would be interested in continuing on. 

Honestly, it's hard to write this review when the author is someone who adore. There's a lot of unanswered questions in this book, but hopefully they are answered in the following books. 

For more information about this book please visit goodreads.

What are your thoughts about this book? Do you hold expectations over authors about their characters?

Follow me on twitter, tumblr, instagram goodreads!


Twitter @omgbooksandmore
TumblrInstagramGoodreads  @omgbooksandmorebooks

2 comments:

  1. It's crazy how reactions to a book can be so different. I loved this one for the reasons that you disliked it, though we did agree on some things, and I really disliked Vampire Academy. I can definitely see what you're saying, but this was the first time I really appreciated Richelle Mead. I didn't know the second and third books will be in the voices of Tamsin and Mira! Sorry you didn't like this one :( Hope your next read is better!

    - Eli @ The Silver Words
    #NBlogHop

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm also finding how crazy our reactions are so different. I loved Vampire Academy but I didn't like The Glittering Court.
      I want to see Tamsin's point of view so I might continue on the series. Thank you for visiting! :D

      Delete