Monday, July 11, 2016

[ARC Review] Inherited by Freedom Mathews ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Summary:
If saying 'I love you' meant death, would you still say it?

The Wilted Rose, of faery-tale and folklore, is a pirate ship filled with unfortunate souls-each forbidden to love. One such soul is Valencia 'Lennie' Roux. Raised in a brothel and an heir to a curse; Lennie never expected to pique the interest of any man. Yet with the arrival of vivid-eyed Nathaniel, she is torn between wanting to know him better and fearing what that knowledge would mean.

With Nathaniel bringing the crew's total to six, the Wilted Rose sets off in search of the remaining two heirs. They hope that in reuniting, they will convince the faery Sorceress responsible for the curse, to end it. However lurking beneath the water is a long standing enemy of the Wilted Rose; who is determined to thwart their quest and bring down its leaders.

Together the eight heirs fight for survival, friendship and love.



Review:


This is my first pirate book and I would say that I really enjoyed it. It is very different. It gave me Pirates of the Caribbean vibes which I loved. The protagonist is tough. She has been through a lot and her hardships has made her strong. But, the pacing was a bit off for me. The love between Lennie and Nathaniel happened a bit quickly. But the curse placed on all the crew members, forbidden to love, made it understandable. But it was a bit forced.

The ideas in Inherited are very unique. I enjoyed the combination of pirates and fairies. I never thought of it to be centered in one book. Also, love is a villain. There are physical villains but the fact that an emotion is a villain was intriguing.

I enjoyed the unraveling at the end. It was interesting to see how Lennie’s crew, The Wilted Rose, trying to figure out a way to break the curse. 

I’m interested to read the prequel Into the Forest to understand the fairy aspect of the book. Overall I really enjoyed Inherited and I’m happy that I finally read a pirate YA novel.


Author info
Freedom is a twenty-something book hoarder with a fondness for all things vintage. She lives in rural Hampshire, UK, with a hotchpotch of family members, ponies and wonky bookshelves. Creating stories has been a passion since before she can remember, and she has been consciously writing since she was 14 years old. An introverted and shy girl, Freedom found her voice in imaginary worlds and has continued to do so…



Follow me on twitter, tumblr, instagram goodreads!

Twitter @omgbooksandmore
TumblrInstagramGoodreads  @omgbooksandmorebooks

No comments:

Post a Comment