[Review] Simon vs. The Homo Sapien Agenda by Becky Albertalli ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Summary:
Sixteen-year-old and not-so-openly gay Simon Spier prefers to save his drama for the school musical. But when an email falls into the wrong hands, his secret is at risk of being thrust into the spotlight. Now Simon is actually being blackmailed: if he doesn’t play wingman for class clown Martin, his sexual identity will become everyone’s business. Worse, the privacy of Blue, the pen name of the boy he’s been emailing, will be compromised.

With some messy dynamics emerging in his once tight-knit group of friends, and his email correspondence with Blue growing more flirtatious every day, Simon’s junior year has suddenly gotten all kinds of complicated. Now, change-averse Simon has to find a way to step out of his comfort zone before he’s pushed out—without alienating his friends, compromising himself, or fumbling a shot at happiness with the most confusing, adorable guy he’s never met.



Review: 


Though I really enjoyed how light hearted this book was, I didn't like how it made coming out almost like a fairy tale, nearly everyone accepts you for who you are and in the end, you get the guy. But I will not review this book comparing it to real life. (If I did I would give it 1 star.) I will review the book based on what has been written, the content of the book. That is only fair.

I felt related to Simon in different ways. He admired his friends and family for who they are and respects them for it. He thrives to be his own person even though he is afraid that people won't accept for who he is. I respect him for that.

I enjoyed how light and enjoyable this book was. I laughed many times and was awed by Simon and his friends. This book shows that coming out may not be as bad as it seems but kind of portrays it too positively in my opinion. I'll just leave it at that.

The part I loved most were the emails between Simon and "Blue". They were sweet and adorable. I really wanted them to meet and was thrilled when they did. I think the emails on its own portrayed the overall message of this book. I wish there were more emails though. It really showed the inner thoughts of Simon and Blue and the growth of their relationships. 

Overall I really enjoyed Simon vs. The Homo Sapien Agenda. Though, there are some points/messages that I did not like, I have to give it to the author for crafting a light and cheery story about a gay teenager trying to discover who he is.

For more information about this book please visit goodreads.

2 comments:

  1. YES!! I loved loved this so much, you have no idea how much this book made me so happy. I loved the family dynamics and the friendships in this book. I loved the coming out aspect as much as you did and I was very blown away by the writing and the mystery element of who Blue is. Great review♥

    PS, I'm a new follower of yours!
    Jumana @ Books by Jay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! Welcome to my blog! :D

    ReplyDelete